You know somebody who has pulled a long term sickie from work when they have booked a holiday, or failed to return to work when they were supposed to because they are STILL on holiday!!! Or maybe you have done this yourself?
I have decided to do some research, including speaking to office managers to find out some of the worst excuses given when a staff member has gone missing in action.
1. ‘My flight got delayed by 4 days and I had no battery on my phone to call you.’
2. ‘I contracted Malaria whilst in Ghana, Africa so I had to stay in hospital for 2 months. Here is my genuine sick certificate…’
3. ‘I’ve been in a witness protection programme.’
4. ‘My granny has died so I need some time off.’ (The same granny has died 3 times now).
5. ‘I’m addicted to crack cocaine and my dealer has been arrested so I need some time off to recover.’
6.’I’m… Erm…. In a Thai prison.’
7. ‘I missed my flight and can’t get on another one for 3 weeks!!’
If you’re planning on doing this, for the love of god come up with something more original.